Hello there, and happy Tuesday! This week, I’m celebrating all things WATERMELON with some fun decor, recipes, and a cocktail. Today I’m blogging about a delicious sugar cookie recipe that I used to decorate some cookies for a Memorial Day celebration. I went with a circle shape and turned them into watermelons!
Here’s the recipe I used.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter (two sticks)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
And here’s what I did…
- First, mix the flour and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside.
- Next preheat the oven to 375º
- Using a stand mixer on medium speed, mix the butter and sugar until smooth
- Add in egg and vanilla until well combined
- Turn the stand mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture until all the flour is added and feels soft but not sticky
- Wrap the dough into plastic wrap and roll into a 1-inch thick disk.
- Leave the dough in the fridge for at least 10 minutes and up to 48 hours.
- When ready to bake the cookies, flour the work surface and roll the dough out to a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut shapes and then transfer to cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool for two minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.
12. Once completely cooled, it’s time to frost! I used the pre-filled frosting bags from Michales in the colors I wanted and they were so simple.
13. First, use the green frosting to create the outline of the watermelon.
14. Next use the pink frosting to fill in the shape.
15. For a final touch, add black non-pariels to resemble seeds.
16. Serve and enjoy!
The sugar cookies were a huge hit!
Check back tomorrow for some fun watermelon decor. See you then.