Happy Monday, friends! I hope you had a nice weekend. Mine was spent doing a little bit of work and a whole lot of crafting!
Every season I like to make a new wreath, and since that can get expensive, I usually like to try and recycle pieces from old wreaths as much as I can and/or find things on sale at the craft store. For my new fall wreath, I was able to do both.
Our house sits pretty far off the main sidewalk, so I wanted something that would make a statement even from far away, so I kept that in mind as I was picking out my supplies. I laid everything out, and got last year’s wreath out of storage. I cleaned it off and set all the pieces aside for possible reuse, and I was ready to start! I decided to go for something a little more natural this time around (or as natural as you can get with fake flowers!).
When my friend Dayme was in town to install her design at Kappa Delta, she talked a lot about balance and symmetry in design. She said it is most pleasing to the eye, and that really stuck with me, so I’m really trying to do that when I decorate my house and style for parties. I also used that concept for this wreath!
After trimming the stems down, I began tucking them into the wreath. I used a small dab of hot glue on the back of each flower as I tucked it into the wreath. I started with the two biggest flowers and worked my way around the wreath, building out as I went.
Once I had all the flowers in place, I added in some extra greenery (as you see in the bottom right photo above) to fill it out a bit more. Then it was time to add some different textures. I had picked up a box of fall pumpkins and pine cones from Hobby Lobby, and that was perfect for the look I was going for. I also added back in a couple of the more subtle gold pumpkins from last year’s wreath.
Now that all of that was in place, I was ready to add height to the remaining empty space on the wreath. I started first by tucking some really cool stems of soft grass as my base, then added some different textures on top of that with the orange fuzzy stems and the white and brown flowering stems.
And finally, I was ready to add my bow. Since there was already so much going on on the wreath itself, I went for a simple pattern of gray and cream chevron. I am a sucker for chevron! I also stuck in a few extra pine cones as a final touch.
This wreath is pretty different from wreaths I’ve done in the past, and I’m really happy with how it turned out.